Marketing Communication is a field of study that combines several streams such as Commerce, Management, Communication, Social Sciences, Economics and Marketing. For the right branding of products, promotional mixes are created that include a combination of activities such as sales promotion, advertising, public relations, direct marketing, social media marketing and so on.
A career in Marketing Communication is one that involves challenges in both selling and communicating. It requires a lot of creativity and thinking skills. Today it has become one of the more popular careers since the youth are becoming adept at selling on social media platforms. The scope of this career is far and wide since marketing communication is required in every kind of business.
- Effective communication: You have to be exceptional in communicating ideas. You must be clear, precise and creative when it comes to communication.
- Creativity: Marketing communication involves a lot of thinking and reasoning. Since it combines promotion and advertising, a marketing communication manager must have creative ideas ready for implementation.
- Selling skills: Essentially you have to be a seller with the ability to sell any idea under the sun. You should have great salesmanship and presentation skills.
- Inter-personal skills: Since you will be part of promotional campaigns and branding, you must know how to talk to people and make them comfortable. You must know how to win and keep trust.
- Networking skills: You must be a person who can get anyone from any field to do the job that is required at the moment. You should have contacts with all kinds of people in a variety of industries.
There are many kinds of courses and degrees that help in making a career in Marketing Communication. While there are some courses with specialization in MarCom, candidates with degrees in marketing, media management and advertising are equally eligible. Mostly there are BBA, MBA, MA degrees available in marketing communication apart from diploma and certificate courses. For graduation/post graduation, you should be a +2/graduate with 55% marks. If you are opting for an MBA course in the field, you will have to take CAT or CMAT for admission in B-schools. Alternatively, you may also pursue course in Media Studies, Media Management, Advertising and Public Relations and Marketing.
List of Institutes for undergrad and post-grad courses in Marketing Communication
Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, JNU, New Campus
|MS University of Baroda, Fatehganj, Vadodara||www.msub.edu|
|Mudra Institute of Communications (MICA), Shela, Ahmedabad||www.mica.ac.in|
|Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai||www.nmims.edu|
|National Institute of Advertising, New Delhi||www.nia.org|
|University of Delhi, College of Art||www.du.ac.in|
|Xavier's Institute of Communication||www.xaviercomm.org|
List of Institutes abroad offering Marketing Communication related courses
Heriot watt University Dubai
|IMT Dubai Campus||www.imtdubai.ac.ae|
|Amity Dubai Campus||www.amityuniversity.ae|
|S. P. Jain Dubai Campus||www.spjain.org|
Career Opportunities in Marketing Communication
There is an array of options open for graduates in Marketing Communication:
- Media Planning: Media Planners often design ad campaigns and branding campaigns with advertising agencies. They have to plan, book and buy space in the print and audio-visual media. They also help designing concepts for billboards, hoardings, brochures, websites etc.
- Market Research Analysts: This is another career avenue open for MarkCom experts whose job is to measure the efficacy of advertising and promotional campaigns. They also prepare the groundwork for ads by carrying out research concerning consumer psychology.
- Client Servicing: This is a term the advertising world uses for the department that practically acts as a bridge between clients and the creative department of the agency. Client servicing executives get business for the advertising agency and delve into a variety of roles.
- Accounts Planning: This is a senior-level position in the Servicing Department. Accounts Planning managers supervise all the accounts in an advertising agency by looking over various client accounts and their co-ordination with the creative department.
- Creative Jobs: There are many other creative jobs open for MarCom professionals such as copywriting, copyediting, designing, video editing etc.
Since the scope of this career is vast, it is difficult to come up with an average salary package for Marketing Communication Professionals. Yet, if you are an MBA in the field, you usually start with Rs 25,000 per month. A client servicing executive begins with Rs10,000-15,000 per month in an advertising agency. However, if you are an MBA from one of the premier B-schools in India, your salary package can be as high as Rs 5,00,000 per annum.