Does a concept of designing space, houses, offices, kitchen etc. allure you? Do you think that there is a creative and artistic part in you that is compelling you to choose a career that deals with re-modelling or creating designs related to interiors? If your answer to any of the above questions is ‘yes’ ten you must seriously think about taking up interior designing as a career. The recent boom in the real estate sector has given a huge push to the profession of interior designing.
Be it designing office spaces, theatres, shops, homes, malls etc., opportunities rock to create a career in interior designing.
Do you think that you have it in you for what it takes to be a good interior designer? Are you still unsure? Here is a list of the personality traits that are seemingly necessary for a successful interior designer.
- Need to be an artist who possesses a good eye for colour
- Natural talent to visualise the hidden space
- Extremely good with scales, proportions, perspective and balance
- Ability to work as a team leader as well as a member of the team
- Should be good with multitasking as the work requires one to be extremely adaptable to the customizations required
- Extremely good communication skills
There are various options that are available for all those who wish to study interior designing. Various polytechnic institutions offer diplomas for aspirants who have cleared class X exams. One can also pursue a professional degree program after completing their class XII exams. To become eligible for the top notch colleges that offer professional degree programs, one needs to appear for written entrance exams followed by interviews for some colleges. The entrance exams test the applicant's spatial ability, technical drawing skills, artistic skills, proportion appreciation and sense of colour. The eligibility criteria to appear for the entrance exams for some institutes constitute having compulsorily studied physics and mathematics in class XII.
List of Institutes for undergrad and post-grad courses in Interior Designing
|National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad||www.nid.edu|
|Arch Academy of Design, Jaipur||www.archedu.org|
|Northern India Institute of Fashion Technology||www.niiftindia.com|
|India Institute of Technology, Mumbai||www.idc.iitb.ac.in|
|J.J. School of Arts, Mumbai||www.sirjjschoolofart.in|
|College of Architecture, Nashik||www.cansnashik.org|
|Shri Devi College of Interior Design, Mangalore||www.sdc.ac.in|
|Sai School of Interior Design, Delhi||www.saischoolofdesign.com|
List of Institutes abroad offering Interior Designing related courses
Heriot watt University Dubai
|Manipal Education Dubai Campus||www.manipaldubai.com|
|Amity Dubai Campus||www.amityuniversity.ae|
Are you thinking what all could possibly be the career options in the area of interior designing? Here is a glimpse of the most popular and rewarding career choices in interior designing-
- Residential designer & residential re-modelling designer: The work of a residential designer includes planning and designing the space of a residential property. Their work includes designing various aspects of the house, choosing the colour scheme, etc. However the job of residential re-modelling designer is slightly tricky but extremely rewarding, both creatively and monetarily. A re-modelling designer can virtually transform the most unappealing spaces in to chef-d'oeuvre. Re-modelling designers are required to work within the restrictions of existing structure, yet bring the best out of it.
- Commercial designer: Interior designers can foray into the world of commercial spaces and design & decorate office and retail spaces.
- Kitchen & Bath designer: Interior designers can choose to specialise in area of designing specific spaces like kitchen, bathroom, etc.
- Journalist: Interior designers can work with famous magazines such as Inside Outside, Good Homes etc and write about new trends and innovations.
- Others: Interior designers can work as lighting designer, CAD specialist, hand drafter, furniture designer etc.
Graduates from good institutes can get placed for salaries ranging from Rs. 3 – 10 lakh per annum. With real estate sector getting more demanding and increasing competition, not only is the scene getting more profitable but is also compelling interior designers to think out of the box and create unique designs.