Textile Designing Indian textile designers are well-known in the world market for having skillfully blended the traditional textures with dyes for meeting the needs of modern market. Textile designing deals with creating designs for textiles in the apparel and furnishing sectors.
Textile designers make rough sketches of their ideas. These are then given detailed technical specifications so that it can be put on machines, looms or printing tables. The specific construction of designs is presented on graph paper or through CAD (computer aided design) systems to make the final design. These designs are then produced to suit the market.
- Creativity and imagination
- Knowledge of color concepts & color preferences
- Sketching and drawing skills
- Technical knowledge of computer softwares
- Good communication & marketing skills
Course / Training
Students who want to pursue Textile designing diploma need to pass 10+2 or an equivalent degree in any subject. Vocational diploma courses are conducted at Polytechnics and Vocational Training institutions in most of the large cities in the country. For a PG Degree Course in Textile designing, the minimum qualification is a graduation in textile designing and related subjects. In addition, some of the institutes also conduct entrance exams to allow students to enroll into their institutions.
List of Institutes for undergrad and post-grad courses in Textile Designing
|Government Institute of Garment Technology, Amritsar||www.gigtasr.org|
|Sophia Polytechnic, Mumbai||www.sophiacampus.com|
|Sasmira Institute of Technology||www.sasmira.org|
|Srimati Nathibai Damodar Training (SNDT) Women's University, Mumbai||www.sndt.digitaluniversity.ac|
|National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad||http://www.nid.edu|
|Raffles Design International, Mumbai||www.raffles-design- institute.com|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology-Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai, Gandhinagar, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai||www.nift.ac.in|
List of Institutes abroad offering Textile Designing related courses
Heriot watt University Dubai
- Textile studios: Textile designers work in design studios, textile mills, export houses, textile dyeing & printing units, fashion garment houses and export units. As colour specialists, they predict choice of colours and colour mixes for the season.
- Freelancing: Textile designers also do freelance assignments for both government and private firms.
- Entrepreneurship: Textile designers also work with cottage industries, small scale industries and as entrepreneurs.
Textile designers who pass out from reputed design schools like NIFT and NID are much sought after in the industry. They generally start working with textile companies at a remuneration of Rs. 10,000 - 12,000 per month. With a few years of experience their salaries are bound to go up.