No matter which century we live in, or what is the rate of inflation, people will always build houses. Architecture today is one of the most indispensable fields of modern society. The real estate is a thriving market in India. The construction industry has contributed an estimated Rs. 670,778 crore to the national GDP in 2011-12 (a share of around 8%). And so the field of architecture has been sought like never before. Our country needs more than 10, 000 trained architects in various public and private organizations.
- Sketching skills: While today there are enough software to bridge your lack of sketching talent, it is quite necessary to know sketching if you want to make it big in the field of architecture.
- Design talent: You must be a designer at heart. You should have an eye for aesthetics and must be prolific in design.
- Engineering ability: Architecture is all about the right measurements and accurate proportions. You must have engineering abilities to survive in this field.
- Business aptitude: While you will always start as an assistant in an architecture firm, you will need acute business acumen to become independent in the long run.
- Management skills: An architect deals with builders, colonizers, customers, dealers, vendors and a number of people involved directly or indirectly with construction business. You should have efficient management skills.
Most institutes in India offer B.Arch at graduation level and M.Arch at the post graduation level. There are also short-term diploma courses available for people interested in the field. There is National Aptitude Test (NATA) in architecture which is a national level entrance exam for admission in architecture courses. However, some institutes also accept JEE (Advance) & Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT) along with NAAT for admission. For B. Arch you must have a XII pass with PCM and at least 50% marks.
List of Institutes for undergrad and post-grad courses in Architecture
|Sir JJ College of Architecture Mumbai||www.sirjjarchitecture.org|
|Department of Architecture, IIT Roorkie||www.iitr.ernet.in/departments/AR|
|Chandigarh College of Architecture||www.cca.nic.in|
|Department of Architecture, NIT Tiruchirapalli||www.nitt.edu|
|Department of Architecture, NIT Calicut||www.nitc.ac.in|
|Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Gurgaon||www.sushantschool.org|
|Faculty of Architectur and Ekistics, JMI, Delhi||www.jmi.ac.in|
|Department of Architecture, BIT Mesra||www.bitmesra.ac.in|
|School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi||www.spa.ac.in.|
|Center for Environmental Planning and Technology University (CEPT) Ahmedabad||www.cept.ac.in.|
|JNAFAU School of Planning and Architecture, Hyderabad||www.jnafau.ac.in.|
|Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi (Lalpur)||www.bitmesra.ac.in.|
|Goa College of Architecture, Goa||www.gcarch.goa.gov.in|
List of Institutes abroad offering Architecture related courses
Heriot watt University Dubai
|Manipal Education Dubai Campus||www.manipaldubai.com|
|Amity Dubai Campus||www.amityuniversity.ae|
Career Opportunities in Architecture
- Architect: An architect designs, plans and oversees the construction of buildings. You can work either independently or with a firm. You need to be a registered architect for this.
- Architecture Engineer: An architect engineer is both an architect and a civil engineer.
- Interior Designer: In the field of architecture, interior designers are much respected. You can opt for an exclusive course or add a diploma to your architecture degree.
- Architecture Designer: They design smaller buildings and houses and need not be registered.
The pass-outs of the best institutes get the best salaries. The starting salary is anywhere between Rs 20,000 and Rs 30,000 per month. Experience and precision earn you a great reputation that ultimately adds to your monetary gain.