Hospitality and catering is a service industry that is always in demand. What India lacks at the moment are trained professionals in the field. However, there are more than 2.40 million people working in hotel, catering and allied industry in India. The number is constantly increasing with the demand.
In order to make it big in the hotel industry, you may need the following traits:
- Passion for service: You must be someone who is naturally good at serving others. You must be polite and a go-getter who has the ability to make others comfortable.
- Connoisseur of food: While hotel management is not only about food, being an expert in food certainly counts a lot. You should have a flair for good cuisine.
- Managerial skills: While your course will teach you a lot of management, you must have a natural flair for resources. You should be someone who can manage to get things done easily.
- Communication etiquettes: You should be very good at communication and know all the etiquettes of courtesy. Remember that hospitality is all about providing great service.
There are mainly three kinds of degrees available in Hotel Management like BA or B.Sc in Hotel Management and Catering Technology and Bachelor of Hotel Management. Most of these courses require 50% in 10+2 regardless of the subjects. There are also master-level courses available with graduation as a minimum eligibility. Most of the institutes have their own selection process which is either a written test or interview.
|Hotel and Catering Management Institute, Chandigarh||www.hcmigroup.com|
|Acharya Institute of Science and Management, Bangalore||www.theaims.ac.in|
|SRM Institute of Hotel Management Kanchipuram||www.srmuniv.ac.in|
|Rizvi College of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Mumbai||www.rizvihmct.com|
|Amrapali Institute of Hotel Management, Nainital||www.amrapali.ac.in|
|Madras Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Chennai||www.mihmct.com|
|Institutes of Hotel Management, Government of India||www.tourism.nic.in|
|Pacific Institute of Hotel Management, Udaipur||www.pihm.org|
List of Institutes abroad offering Hotel Management related courses
Heriot watt University Dubai
|IMT Dubai Campus||www.imtdubai.ac.ae|
|Manipal Education Dubai Campus||www.manipaldubai.com|
|Amity Dubai Campus||www.amityuniversity.ae|
|S. P. Jain Dubai Campus||www.spjain.org|
- Banquet Managers: They specifically manage the affairs of the cuisine and cooking and the serving of the same.
- General Managers: They are responsible for various kinds of administration requirements in the hotel.
- Executive Housekeepers: These professionals are expected to ensure cleanliness in the hotel.
- Convention Service Managers: These managers are only in charge of the organizing of business meetings, conferences, conventions in hotels.
- Resident Managers: Every chain of hotels has resident managers to cater to the needs and calls of the customers locally. They are called Resident managers who live inside the hotel in order to be available at any hour.
- Front desk managers: As the name suggests, they are in charge of the lobby and the welcome desk of the hotels. They are the people who listen and cater to all the inquiries, connect the customers with services and do a lot of caddie jobs.
Hotel management industry pays in the long run. On an average the starting salary can be between Rs 8,000 and Rs 10,000. However, the pass-outs of the Institutes of Hotel Management receive a starting salary of Rs 20,000.