Thinking for a career in Science but do not wish to opt for those conventional choices? Here is one career that will certainly make studying science more exciting for all those nature lovers and explorers out there. Physical Science is an area of science that deals with the study of earth science and non-living systems. Physical science also works to explore the physics and chemistry of earth and universe. Many physicists often find themselves working as geologists, geophysicists, nuclear physicists, meteorologists, astronomers, biophysicists etc.
Physical science is an amalgamation of physics, chemistry and earth science that brings together the fundamentals of all these areas to study oceanography, agrophysics, soil science, geomorphology and geophysics, meteorology, climatology etc.
- Good analytical skills
- Scientific aptitude
- Mathematical aptitude
- Keen interest to write research proposals and research papers
- Good communication skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Fascination for the world around
- Sharp observer
- Strong team player
Course / Training
For students who wish to venture in to physical science have various study routes. Aspirants have to first necessarily study physics, chemistry and mathematics in their class XII. They can then choose to pursue bachelors in science in any specialized field in physics, chemistry and mathematics. Post completing the same, they can further pursue an M.Sc and then a Ph.D in the same.
List of Institutes for undergrad and post-grad courses in Physical Science
|University of Delhi, New Delhi||www.du.ac.in|
|University of Mysore, Mysore||www.uni-mysore.ac.in|
|University of Pune, Pune||www.unipune.ac.in|
|Delhi Technological University, New Delhi||www.dtu.ac.in|
|Jamia Millia Islamia of New Delhi, New Delhi||www.jmi.ac.in|
|Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||www.bhuonline.in|
|Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi||www.jamiahamdard.edu|
|Andhra University Faculty of Science||www.andhrauniversity.edu.in|
List of Institutes abroad offering related courses in Physical Science
Heriot watt University Dubai
|Birla Institute of Technology & Science Pilani-Dubai Campus||www.pilani.ac.in/dubai/|
Physical science is not one particular profession, but it is the coming together of various specialized areas that deal with the study of earth science and non-living systems. A list of few of them is as follows –
- Meteorologist – Meteorologists are the ones who study in depth about the relationship between environment and atmospheric characteristics. A job of a meteorologist also includes predicting future weather conditions, monitoring climate trends over a period of time, study temperatures of cities around the world, monitoring rainfall etc.
- Chemistry Research Assistant – The works of a chemistry research assistant may vary depending on the organization they plan to work in. Chemistry research assistants get to work on things as diverse agricultural products, industry chemicals, environmental study, developing new consumer products, biotechnology etc.
- Ocean Technician – Ocean technicians work to protect ocean systems, including critical area lands, waters and beaches. They also work in tandem with ocean managers to formulate policies to preserve ocean water quality and ecosystems.
- Geoscientists – Geoscientists work in a broad area that comprises the study of environmental science, geological data technology, biology, survey technology etc.
Apart from the above mentioned areas, following are other popular area of work in physical science.
- Aviation Forecaster
- Chemical laboratory Technician
- Forensic Laboratory Technician
- Agricultural Scientist
- Petroleum/Mineral Technician
- Land Survey Technologist
- Soil Scientist
- Aerial Photographer
- Fuel and Physics Scientist
Just as various job profiles, the remunerations for the same vary depending on the area of work. The salaries many range between Rs. 15,000 to Rs 80,000 per month.