Commercialization of healthcare means the opening up of private sector in health and medical facilities. There are both sides of this argument. Lets discuss some
How is commercialization good?
- Most government hospitals are in bad shape. Doctors are not available, medicines are not there, hygiene is in real bad shape.
- Most hospitals are overcrowded since they are inexpensive.
- The government hospitals are also plagued by indiscipline, corruption and other malpractices, that go unchecked.
- The number of deaths due to carelessness in government hospitals is increasing every day.
- Private hospitals and commercialization in general has helped cater to patients. In fact, they have successfully bridged the gap created by government hospitals.
- The healthcare sector is in need of commercialization. The private hospitals have a 24-hour availability of doctors, nurses, equipment and medicines. Moreover hygiene and security are also stressed a lot in these hospitals.
How is commercialization bad?
- The grounds on which government hospitals are criticized, are the area o inconsistency even in private hospitals.
- Private clinics and hospitals charge exorbitant money from people who cannot afford good treatment.
- In our country, 22% people are still under the poverty line, they can never afford private medical treatment.
- Doctors in private hospitals mostly have money-making or reputation in their minds, hence, patients often get exploited.
- There have been cases of illegal selling of kidneys of patients, and private practitioners have been involved in the dealings.
Only the government can change this situation by first improving the conditions of public hospitals. It has to attract experts from each branch of medicine to be able to provide quality medical services.
- The government should pay its doctors more to keep them in their hospitals for a longer time.
- The government must have stricter laws for private clinics, hospitals and practitioners.
- The government must have set rules of regulations for private hospitals.
- Standard fee must be set for common treatments, tests and regular check-ups to make it affordable for the common man.