Social Media stands for all the personal and professional networking websites through which people interact and exchange views, information, photographs, videos etc. A few examples of social media sites are Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram and the likes.
Social Media has positively influenced our personal and professional lives.
- It has helped connect professionals worldwide. People find candidates and jobs on a global platform.
- It has helped businesses sell their products and services more efficiently while saving costs significantly.
- Social Media campaigns take lesser time and have a wider reach than any other media.
- Personally, people have found a way to keep in touch with loved ones.
- People have found their old friends on social media sites, reconnected with lost acquaintances.
- People are communicating more quickly and efficiently through social media.
- It has opened a whole new world of opinion sharing worldwide.
Social Media has also triggered a number of Psychology studies in research institutes and universities across the globe. That is because it does have negative influences too.
- Social Media has made a lot of private information public. Often there are cases of hacking of accounts and tampering of private information. It has made our personal information vulnerable.
- It has lowered the difference between Information and Sensitive Information such videos, photographs, relationship status etc.
- Children under 18 are the most vulnerable on social media sites where they are bullied, harassed.
- Many teenage suicides in India lately have been results of Social Media bullying.
- Companies worldwide are tracking our personal information and using it to influence our purchasing decisions.