If every government department is privatized, would it change the system? Would it help to bring about more accountability? There can be many arguments that can be put forth in favour or against this topic. Lets see some-
Why privatization is good?
- Privatization is about making profit, hence, the sole goal of any department would be to generate revenues. As a result, private companies will make employees work more efficiently.
- This would bring about more accountability since revenue-generation would also compel people to think about completing their targets.
- Government employees would become more competent. They would think of solving complaints, settling disputes since they would have a stricter authority.
- It would lead to problem-solving across all public sector institutions since private players would instill stricter policies for getting things done.
- Complaints, conflicts, disputes, registrations, etc would be done on time and delivered on time.
Why privatization is bad?
- Corruption is possible even in private companies. The employees who are corrupt under the government, can find a way to generate extra income even in a private set-up.
- Common man would still suffer since the cost of services would go up. Private companies are driven by the sole objective of revenue generation.
- Since most services would not be affordable, the problem of corruption would rise again.
- Many existing employees in government organizations may lose their jobs based on their competence. This would add to unemployment.
- Private companies controlling government undertaking is dangerous in the national interest since private businessmen and industrialists would exploit them to serve their own interests.
What should be done?
- Instead of privatization, the government needs to create a corruption-proof system.
- It should follow the methods adopted by private companies to bring in the efficiency in their work.
- Stricter anti-corruption laws will make the system foolproof.